Sunday, September 14, 2008

Moving Day for Shaun

September 13th was a very big day.
My brother Shaun moved back in with me. Temporarily.












Shaun will eventually be moving to San Jose with his wife, Beth. She is a native of California and about a month and a half ago, 
excepted a job out there. Her start
date was September 1st, so she had to leave before Shaun. Pretty much all of their stuff was moved to California with Beth, so Shaun has been sleeping on an air-mattress in his nearly empty apartment. (Right)
I visited him a few times, and I must say it's pretty sad/funny looking. I kept thinking how weird it would be if I met a genie in early August (before I knew of the move), and asked to see what Shaun would be doing a month and a half later. And through a crystal ball I would see my brother, in a empty apartment, sleeping on a air-mattress with beer cans ar
ound him (he's been drinking more), I would really be worried.

Shaun didn't move with Beth because he's training to be a personal banker, and wants to complete the training before he leaves. He told his landlord he's moving out 9/15. 

Shaun will be in Chicago anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. And he will be living with me once again. (We lived together for about three years)

Now, September 13th. It rained all day.

We finally met up at about 2pm. Shaun's downstairs neighbor, Mae lou, drove Shaun and most of his stuff over to my studio apartment. We thanked her, Shaun gave her 10 dollars, and she left.



We began to unpack. Shaun doesn't have many things, since most of it left on a truck two weeks ago. His labtop, some suit cases, and a bunch of my stuff he let me store in his apartment when my girlfriend and I moved out.

We left my apartment very soon after getting settled, and headed back to Shaun's to get my bicycle (long story) and a few more things. 

Back a Shaun's, I grabbed my bicycle, Shaun grabbed this wooden kitchen table-cutting board thing and we headed towards the bus.

The bus driver was very nice to let us take this big kitchen thing on the bus. Shaun and I thought about the time, during our first summer together, I found a white dresser at the Salvation Army, and we took it on the busy Broadway bus (#36). I remember telling Shaun to just take it on the bus like it's no big deal. No hesitation. This works, because it happens so fast. By the time the bus driver can form an opinion, we have already swiped our cards and are moving towards the back. This was 2002. In 2008 it worked as well.

We dropped the stuff off at my house, I grabbed a burrito at Taqueria El Ranchito and we waited for the Diversey bus. I had to return something at Target, Shaun had to go to Home Depot and make a copy of my keys. 

At Diversey, it was raining hard. We talked for a little while as we waited for the bus. See, Beth is expecting, and I sort of gave Shaun a little trouble for not telling the family yet. Shaun wants to tell the family, but he really wants to get this job with Bank of America. He knows people will worry, and he doesn't want anybody worrying about this.
Sorry, I am jumping around. Shaun has an interview with Bank of America next week in San Jose.

I wanted to give him more trouble about not telling the family, but it wasn't my place, obviously.

(We went to Home Depot, Target, saw a dead rat).

We decided to head back to my place do some serious organizing, and then head over to my girlfriend, Christine's apartment. She was about to make a Acorn Squash/ Gorgonzola pizza, needed some help. It was a lot of fun.

We went on a little beer run and parked ourselves in front of the TV and watched SNL.

Shaun showed Christine and I some funny things on the internet. She eventually went to sleep, and Shaun and I found ourselves alone, with beers in our hand, playing chess (on Christine's MacBook) like we used to.

Unfortunately, I was too tired to keep the game going. Shaun left with a new beer in his hand. The next day he told me he stopped at Taqueria El Ranchito and got a steak burrito. 

September 13th was history. My brother and I spent nearly the entire 
day together. (Shaun's talking to Beth in the picture below).



No comments: